8 things you don’t need to become a yogi
If you are into yoga you probably have bumped into articles like ’10 signs you are a true yogi’ and get completely confused. During my years of practicing and teaching yoga I experienced moments of doubt on if i was ‘yogi’ enough. The biggest reason why i got insecure was the act of comparing myself to other yogi’s on social media.
The expansion of yoga on social media has created an image of a yogi: a thin woman or a muscled man, in a $150 outfit doing a handstand somewhere on a bounty island. In essence there is nothing wrong with that person, outfit or island, but when this becomes the defined idea of how a yogi should look, we have got it wrong. The internet has made the term yogi sound like an exclusive title. But the truth is that everybody can be a yogi and every body is a yoga body.
Did you know the asana were originally practiced as a preparation for mediation? Yoga is much more then the physical practice. A true yogi practices the Eight Folded Path by Patanjali. This path consists of personal and universal ethical principles, breath work, meditation and the physical practice of asana.
Yoga is about connecting with your true, authentic self. It’s about living intentionally and create a healthy relationship between your body, mind and soul.
- You don’t need to have a size 36 to be a yogi.
- You don’t need to be flexible to be a yogi.
- You don’t need to buy expensive leggings be a yogi.
- You don’t need to quit drinking wine or coffee to be a yogi.
- You don’t need to post your practice on Instagram to be a yogi.
- You don’t need to like kombucha or green smoothies to be a yogi.
- You don’t need to be able to do handstands to be a yogi.
- You don’t need to have the answer to all your problems to be a yogi.
So next time you doubt yourself, here’s your checklist:
- Have a body
- Do yoga
Thanks for reading our Yoga journal: 8 things you don’t need to become a yogi.
Shades of Yoga is a yoga teacher training company providing year-round yoga teacher training in the following locations