There are hundreds of different yoga teacher training programs to choose from.. Which is the right for you?
The decisions involved in choosing the right school for your yoga teacher training is quite a hard one and there are many questions you may want to ask yourself…
- Who is the right teacher for me?
- What style of yoga should I learn?
- Does the training represent value for money?
These are all very important, however, one of the most important questions is:
Where should I do my training?
Do I chose a school close to home or travel to a far away exotic land?… The answer to this will have a huge impact on the experience you are about to undertake and how you proceed as a professional in the world of yoga.
The 2 main options are:
- Locally based ‘extended format’ training close to your home over a period time (usually months)
- Sign up for a residential destination training over a 3-4 week period of time, in a location away from home, usually in another country.
Some people have no choice but to choose a locally extended training as they have either work, family or relationship commitments that stop them from venturing far from their local community. In this case a course that may be held over 2-6 months focusing on weekends or weeknights may seem like the best choice.
Disadvantages of a locally based extended format training
- The inability of the participant to ‘let go’ of the daily stresses or events in their lives which can cause distractions for the trainee ie..” its Saturday night… I wonder what the girls are doing? “
- The ‘lag’ between weekend classes may also create a lack of discipline or the inability to keep the mind focused on the course.
- Not having a daily practice can allow for the negative habitual patterns to keep taking place, ie ‘ bad postural habits in asana, the regular checking of social media ( facebook/instagram) and other daily stresses that can negatively affect the ability to learn or be productive.
Many men and women seeking certification in yoga training are in a period of ‘ life transition’. Perhaps they have recently lost their jobs or another significant life changing event has caused them to re-evaluate what it is exactly they want to do with their lives and a full immersion destination training seems much more appropriate for their situation.
A destination training can also help the student stick out of the pack from thousands of other students who completed their trainings close to home, as the additional learning environment of being abroad can often offer a more comprehensive experience.
Costa Rica Teacher Training
Costa Rica Teacher Training
During these trainings participants will have designated days and time off so having the opportunity to detach in an inviting environment is vital to keeping balanced for the month.
Can you swim at the beach on your afternoons off ?, can you hike the mountains? Are there any other cool or fun activities you can do during your down time that helps you understand the land and culture that you are visiting? These are all important things to consider when choosing the right destination for your your Yoga teacher training course.
“Natural environments are a considerable source of stimulation for the process of inspired learning and meaningfulness”
Exploring a new location, meeting like minded individuals in a serene and tranquil setting could set the tone perfectly for the learning environment you need. This often results in an experience of a lifetime and can propel yourself towards the new and exciting life you are seeking to find.
Shades of Yoga, offer a full immersion 200hr yoga teacher training on the beautiful jungle beaches of the Osa Peninsula in Costa Rica. Named The Most Biologically Intense Place on Earth by National Geographic Magazine, this location is one that is not to be missed. It has remained some of the most pristine land with wild rainforests meeting the black sand coast, where the ocean offers miles and miles of untouched surfable beach! Monkeys, sloths, frogs, and dolphin are some of the regular life you will see daily and it is a place you can truly disconnect and turn over to mother-nature and all her healing powers. It is for the adventurous at heart and someone that is looking for a unique, unmatchable training experience.
written by Jolie Manza