The first step is to research the multitude of training programs available. It’s inevitable that you will be overcome by the sheer number of options out there, not to mention the corresponding price tags.
With an number of yoga teacher training schools and studios setting up shop out there nowadays, how do you know to choose the program that’s perfect for you?
So how to go about it? With our extensive experience in having conducted extensive training sessions and having once been students ourselves, here’s our two bits on the matter.
How to choose the right course
Before even choosing the school to enroll yourself in, the first step is to select the style of yoga you want to learn, deepen practice or teach. The most perfect way to realize this is to check out a bunch of different styles yourself! Unless you carry out even a little research into the programs to select the one that may be the right fit for your needs, you may very likely end up being disappointed. What you need to do is to visit a variety of classes and teachers in order to experience the training and select that which most resonates with your intentions.
For instance, let’s say that you intend to go in for a strong and energetic practice with a specialized focus. If you somehow end up enrolling for a “Hatha yoga” training, you might find the pace too slow and gentle for your taste. On the other hand, those who are having a chronic injury or physical limitation will find an “Ashtanga” training detrimental to your condition. An Iyengar style course would be more suitable for such people.
Some questions you need to ask yourself:
- Are you one to feel comfortable with routines and repetition, or prefer variety and surprises?
- Is it your wish to focus on yoga philosophy, meditation, learning Sanskrit and chanting mantras; or are you enticed by the study of biomechanics and anatomy in conjunction with your yoga practice?
- What is your preferred environment for training?
- Are you looking for a place near your residence or want to get away to an exotic destination?
- Do you prefer being remote, immersed in nature and free of distractions, or desire modern amenities and proximity to entertainment and activities?
All said, what you have to understand is that yoga teacher training is an investment for LIFE! In addition to gaining a qualification, this long term investment that you’re making also contributes to the well-being of your physical, mental and spiritual health.
Finally, you too may get caught up in the ‘yoga wave’ and end up enrolling in a Yoga Teacher Training course in Bali!