How to do Standing Bird of Paradise:
- Maintain your bind, press firmly through the right foot and step or hop the left foot to the front of your mat (toes facing forward).
- Transfer the weight into the left leg and draw the right knee into the right armpit as you rise up to standing.
- Lift the chest and spend a few breaths here as you find your balance.
- Straighten the right leg and as you do this externally rotate the leg in the hip socket so that the hips remain level. Point the foot but draw the toes back so you’re pressing through the ball of the foot.
- Take five breaths. Release.
This pose is great for promoting the overall balance between strength and flexibility in your body. It strengthens the legs, improves your balance and opens the shoulders, groins and hamstrings.
- Utthita Parsvakonasana
- Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana
Follow up with Garudasana, Ahdo Mukha Svanasana, Gomukasana, Halasana and Savasana.