The Benefits of Coconut Water
One of the blessings about living, working or holidaying in Bali is the abundance and availability of one of natures best and cheapest sources of post exercise nutrition:
Now don’t get this mistaken for the high fat content of coconut milk, which comes from the flesh of the older more mature coconut fruit. Coconut water is a clear, fresh liquid that you can extract from a green or young coconut before it becomes overly mature or ripe.
Although they both come from the same fruit, they are not the same thing…
The Benefits of Coconut Water (Continued)
Coconut Water contains large amounts of essential nutrients
- Rich in vitamins and minerals
- Packed full of amino acids (amino acids are the chemical building blocks that make up protein)
- A great source of electrolytes (electrolytes are salts that your body uses to transmit energy or ‘electricity’ across the cells)
- Low in fat, calories and sugar (but still tastes great, especially with a squeeze of fresh lime)
- Great for alkalizing the body and lowering acidity levels
According to Bruce Fife, author of ‘Coconut Water for Health and Healing’
Coconut water has an abundance of health benefits
- anti-carcinogenic benefits
- balances blood sugar levels and aids in combatting diabetes
- acts as a support for a good healthy immune system
Due to its abundance of natural amino acids and electrolytes, coconut water is probably far better for you than any other sports drink out there. These drinks are often filled with sugars and artificial colorants and chemicals, which are not good for you.
Added to this is the fact that coconut water is completely sterile when it comes out of the young coconut, so you can drink it anytime, no matter where in the world you are.
So next time you are feeling a bit hot and humid after a big yoga or exercise session, grab a young coconut, squeeze some lime into it and let the refreshing and invigorating water help you get your post exercise energy levels back to where you would like them to be.
Thanks for reading our Yoga journal: The Benefits of Coconut Water
Shades of Yoga is a yoga teacher training company providing year round yoga teacher training in the following locations